Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Storytelling Strategies I would use in my Classroom

After reading Jane Gangi's article Deepening Comprehension Through Storytelling I realized there are some techniques I would use in my own classroom and some that I would not. I agree that the storytelling technique is much different than the read aloud experience. I think that storytelling creates a relationship between the teller and the student. 
Storytelling helps the audience or in my case my students become part of the story instead of just sitting back and listening. The students are actively engaged. Making them part of the story aids in their comprehension. 
Storytelling can also help students to make connections to the book. The three types of connections we ask students to make are text to self text to text or text to world. 
                                  

1 comment:

  1. Making connections help students become an active reader and engaged with the text. I have printed out bookmarks with the Making Connects strategies, so while students are reading they have the bookmark right there to help remind them.

    ReplyDelete